It is however probable that Cornwood is not concerned with these, and that John de le Hele, who dwelt at South Hele in the reign of Henry II belonged to a younger branch. His son, William, married Joane, daughter of Sir Simon Cole of Slade.
In Jacobean times the most conspicuous member of this family was Elize Hele of Fardel, well known throughout the County of Devon for his great charities, but his desire to bequeath Fardel for charitable uses was frustrated by the Act of Mortmain and it became the property of his heir at law.
The first house bearing the name Dallamoor was built by a member of the Cole family and it eventually came into the possession of Robert Bellmaine from Westmoreland. The second was built in 1794 by Benjamin Hays, whose wife, Ann, was the third daughter of the Right Hon. George Treby, and Charity, daughter of Roger Hele of Halwell. Thus the ancient families of Hele and Treby were represented in the persons of Ann Hayes and her two elder sisters, Charity Ourry and Dorothy Drewe.
The third house was built in 1859 by Anne, grand daughter of Ann Hayes and widow of William Mackworth Praed, who was well known as a barrister on the Western Circuit, and a judge of the County Court. He was, moreover, a considerable benefactor to the parish, by making and improving the roads and by building bridges where fords only existed.
Their daughter, Anne Praed, married Captain George Parker, who afterwards held the rank of Admiral and was for many years Master of the Dartmoor Hounds. His son Colonel William Frederic is now owner of Delamore and Lord of the Manor.
It is interesting to note that while the Heles were at various times Lords of the Manor of Fardel and Blachford, neither they nor their descendants hold the title any longer, and it is only in the Manor of Cornwood that they are in any way traced to the present time.
By the side of the road between the church and. the village stood the ancient pound, but as it's use for impounding cattle had ceased the present Lord of the Manor built two cottages on the site.
With regard to the manor of Fardel and its ownership, the name of Richard, Earl of Mortain (1212), seems most conspicuous. From him it came into possession of Warren Fitz Joel, from whom it was inherited by his daughter Ellen. She married William Newton , and their daughter, Joan, by her marriage with Sir John Ralegh in 1303, brought the estate into the Ralegh family, the most illustrious of whom was Sir Walter. The Manor was in early days assessed in 1 Knight's fee.
Sir Walter's elder brother, Sir Carew, born at Fardel, sold it to Walter Hele, in whose family it remained until 1740, when it became the property of Thomas Pearce of Bigbury. On his death it was sold to Sir Robert Palk, and by him to John Spurrel Pode, the great uncle of the present owner, John Duke Pode.
On passing through the fine granite piers of the gateway at the entrance to the Manor House there is on the left a chapel with it's quaint south porch, bearing on it a small granite cross, similar to the one surmounting the east end of the roof, and facing you on entering the building, which is 38ft. long by 15ft. wide, are the remains of an ancient doorway leading into the road, from which it is evident that it was not merely a domestic chapel, but was also used by the tenants of the Manor.
The only record of it's use at present existing is to be found in Bishop Lacey's register, where it is recorded that in 1422, licence for Divine Service was granted to Elizabeth, widow of Sir John Ralegh, grandson of the first Ralegh owner.
It has a good east window, with granite mullions of the late 14th century period, but there are signs of an earlier one, possibly of the 13th century. Underneath there are layers of plaster of two different periods, one no doubt belonging to the present window and the other, of finer texture, to the earlier one. On this latter there are traces of a pattern, stencilled in colour. This is also to be seen on the splay of one of the lancet windows on the south side. Doubtless there was once a reredos, as there are wooden blocks for its support let into the wall under the sill of the window.
There are some interesting features in the south wall, belonging to the earlier date, namely a credence, piscina and cedile. More unusual is the Easter Sepulchre in the north wall and the other opposite.
At right angles to the chapel is the Tudor mansion, with granite mullioned windows and ample porch. Within the house there is a room, which is now used as a dairy, but it's lofty roof points to the probability of it's having been the hall in olden times.
Beyond the large kitchen there is a picturesque staircase in Caroline style, leading to the bedrooms on the south side, beneath which there is a little parlour with paneled walls and ornamental ceiling.
Between the house and the Ivy Bridge road lies a field which in olden times was the subject of much mystery. Tradition says that some untold evil would surely follow were it ever to be ploughed up; moreover it is related that ghostlike apparitions had been seen there in the dead of night. A doggerel couplet, with variations, has been handed down, one of which is quoted in 'A Book of Dartmoor' by Baring Gould, viz:
Between this stone and Fardel Hall,
Lies as much money as the Devil can haul.'
The stone referred to is the one already mentioned with the Ogam inscription as it was discovered just outside the boundary of this field.
After Domesday the first mention of Blachford appears in the Tax Roll of Devon (1302 1303) in which it is recorded that the Prior of Plympton and the Church of the Blessed Michael in Cornwode held Nitherblacchesworthy (Blachford), which was assessed in 1/4 Knight's fee.
In course of time it came into the possession of the Heles of South Hele, who continued there until 1694.
In that year both Blachford and South Hele were sold to Mr. John Rogers, who had occupied an important post in connection with H.M. Customs at Plymouth, where he had acquired considerable wealth as a merchant. In 1690 he purchased Wisdome from a younger son of the Hele family and resided there.
His ancestor, Dr. John Rogers, a prebendary of St. Paul's Cathedral, was imprisoned for six months by Queen Mary, for preaching a sermon in defence of the reformed religion and in 1555 was burnt at the stake at Smithfield.
In 1698 Mr. John Rogers, of Wisdome, was created a Baronet and elected Member of Parliament for Plymouth, and in the same year, on the marriage of his son who bore the same name, he made Blachford over to him.
Sir John was the first of a succession of ten Baronets which ended with the Rev. Sir Edward Rogers. This series is remarkable, containing as it did seven Members of Parliament, three of whom were Recorders of Plymouth.: one of these, the 8th Baronet was the most eminent. He served his country for many years as permanent Under Secretary for the Colonies, and in 1871 was created Baron Blachford for Wisdome.
In memory of Lord and Lady Blachford a handsome granite cross was erected in the village by friends and parishioners, close to the entrance gates and was dedicated by Bishop Ryle, then Bishop of Exeter, and bears the following inscription:
In grateful memory of Frederick Rogers, Lord Blachford, K.C.M.G. and his wife, Georgina Mary.
He served his country faithfully for 25 years in the Colonial Office. Their latter days were spent at Blachford in serving God and doing good to their neighbours.
Additions to the property have been made from time to time and in 1917, Miss Margaret Deare, the owner and Lady of the Manor gave to her cousin, major Frederick Passy, the greater portion of the estate, retaining only the house, with it's garden and ornamental grounds, the Deer Park and other park like land.